What’s Medi-Cal? Medi-Cal is a form of medical insurance. People can qualify for Medi-Cal if they meet certain requirements, including income eligibility requirements.
Medi-Cal Income Guidelines Read the Medi-Cal income guidelines here>>
Automatically eligible for WIC! Are you receiving Medi-Cal? Then according to the WIC program, your income is not an issue. You are automatically eligible for WIC if you meet the other WIC eligibility requirements.
Differences There are important differences between eligibility for Medi-Cal and eligibility for WIC:
• Any child of any age can be a Medi-Cal recipient. In the WIC program, infants and children up to age 5 may qualify for WIC.
• Any man who qualifies can be a Medi-Cal recipient. In the WIC program, a man can receive WIC nutrition and parenting counseling. But the food checks for free healthy food that a man may be handed are for his children or female partner, not for himself.
• Any woman who qualifies can be a Medi-Cal recipient. In the WIC program, pregnant women, women who have just given birth and women who breastfeed for up to one year can receive their own WIC food checks for free healthy food.
• Any mother whose child is a WIC participant can receive WIC nutrition and parenting counseling. If she does not meet the WIC eligibility requirements for a woman, the food checks for free healthy food that she receives are for her children, not for her.
Eligibility for WIC These adults are eligible for WIC if they meet the income requirements and:
• are pregnant
• are breastfeeding a baby less than 1 year of age
• just had a baby in the past 6 months
• recently miscarried
These children are eligible for WIC if their parents meet the income requirements and if they are:
• or toddlers and children up to 5 years old
Working parents Parents or their children may be eligible for WIC even if a family member is working!
Others welcome to join too! Not only a mom, but also a single dad, a foster parent, a grandparent, a stepparent, an adoptive parent, or a guardian with a child under 5 can join WIC. “Joining” means participating.
Benefits of joining An adult who joins WIC can receive nutrition and parenting education and take part in classes. She or he can also receive referrals to valuable community resources.
Begin to apply today! Call WIC at (310) 661-3080 to begin the application process or click “Apply today!” on your website screen.